As we moved from the age of monk scribes to typewriters to word processors, we similarly moved from market place shouting to intuitive and touchy-feely marketing to measurable data based marketing.
Guesswork is now reduced, not eliminated though. The human intuition and experience is still needed in dealing with unknowns, in negotiations, where data is still not available.
What is needed now are more dispassionate data crunchers. Seeking patterns and calculating the patterns to a statistical significance. Finding the buyer movements that prove, “if this action taken, then will get this result”.
Whether it happens on a website, app, in-store or billboard. Whether for a product page add to cart button, QR code, to which image converted better and to which sales script to use by a sales person to convert.
The digital marketing team can be essentially sectioned into market facing audience and product (marketing) teams and technology facing dedicated marketing technology (martech) teams.
This requires a marketing team (in-house or out-sourced) that is skilled in:
- Metrics Management – Defining Digital KPIs, Goal Setting and Controlling Performance to Digital Metrics
- Marketing Strategy and Planning – Audience, Keyword and Competitor Research and Analysis
- Sales Funneling – Customer Journey and Touchpoint Events
- Content Creation – Audience Intent, Keyword Relevancy, Topic Research, Article Copywriting.
- Branding – Emotional Appeal, Recognition, Imagery
- Campaign Project Management – Campaign Readiness, Media Placements, Community and Stakeholder Engagement
- Sales and Customer Service – Knowing how to use the tools and platforms.
- Behavioral Triggers – User Interaction, Design, Imagery and Microcopy
- Data Analytics – Event Data Layers, AB Testing and Statistical Analysis
- Photo and Image Editing – Photoshop and Illustrator skills or similar for high impact visuals and photo blends.
- Video Editing – Taking, Editing and Blending Video, Video Slideshows
- CRM – Chatbots, Fields integration to Webpages, Campaigns and Sales Pipelines.
- Data Protection – Data compliance procedures in place to meet target market laws.
Get the team skilled up in these knowledge areas.
The articles on this topic can be found in the Digital Marketing Skills Development Articles section.
Time permitting, I should be adding one new article a month in this section. Do sign up to be notified of new findings in sales and marketing skills requirements and training.(Edit)
Latest posts by Logga (see all)
- Digitalization by Digital Transformation - 21 June 2019
- Digital Tools for Project Management, Morning Talk at PMI MY - 25 May 2019
- Online Marketing Lecture in Universiti Klabat Manado - 3 November 2017